- Coriander seeds (Dhaniya)- 1 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds- 1 tsp
- Sesame seeds - 1 tsp
- Asafoetida- ¼ tsp
- Tamarind extract- 1 cup
- Urad dhal- 1 tsp
- Channa dhal (split chick-peas)- 1 tsp
- Red chilies- 4
- Oil- 3 tablespoons
- Roast the first 3 ingredients without oil and grind into fine powder.
- Heat oil in a pan and add urad dhal, chickpeas and red chilies and fry for a few minutes. Add tamarind extract and salt. Allow it to boil. Add the ground spice powder and mix well. Stir constantly until it becomes thick and the oil floats on the top of the mixture and it comes without sticking to the pan. Refrigerate and store.
- You can mix this with cooked rice and serve.