Cookbook:Potato and Cauliflower Curry (Aloo Gobi)
|Potato and Cauliflower Curry (Aloo Gobi)|
Aloo gobi (or gobhi) is a South Asian dish popular in both India and Pakistan. Aloo means potato and Gobi means cauliflower. This dish has a prominent role in the movie Bend It Like Beckham, and it can be prepared in a variety of ways. Also, sometimes aloo gobi is made without the tomato.
- 800 g (6.5 ea.) medium tomatoes, diced or puréed
- 2 big cauliflower cut into chunks
- 4-5 potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 lemon
- 3-5 tablespoons of ghee or cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 5 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon ground curcuma (turmeric)
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 1-2 tablespoons ground chilli
- 2-4 tablespoons garam masala
- 5 sprigs of mint
- Heat the ghee/oil in frying pan, wok or karahi (an Indian utensil specially used for frying purposes)
- Add cumin seeds and wait until they turn a light brown color.
- Add the spices (except for garam masala) and the tomatoes.
- When the mixture turns oily, add the vegetables.
- Roast the cauliflower and the potatoes until they turn soft. Stir occasionally.
- Add the garam masala, mint, and lemon juice.