The Mexican dish picadillo is a popular filling for tacos.
For 6 servings:
- 1 to 1½ lbs (450-625g) of ground beef
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 29 oz beef broth
- 1 large green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
- 3 large russet potato, cubed bite-sized
- 14.5 oz canned diced tomatoes in juice
- 2 tbsp of oil
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Black pepper, cumin, oregano and garlic powder to taste (about 2-2½ tablespoons total)
- In a large, heavy pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Dump onions, garlic, bell pepper and seasonings into heated oil.
- When the bell pepper starts to discolor, add the ground beef, stirring to break up large pieces. Brown evenly, cooking for about 7 minutes.
- As meat is browning, add potato, beef broth and diced tomatoes.
- Simmer until picadillo thickens, stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot with Spanish (Mexican) rice and tortilla.