Grandma-Ag's Orange Bread - This bread is a fond memory of my childhood, visiting Agnes Frances Primm, my Grandma-Ag. As a young adult, I tried to duplicate the recipe, and unable, I went back and begged her for the secrets of it. When I asked her how long it had taken to develop the tricky recipe, she flattened my ego by telling me she'd gotten it out of a magazine years before!
I like to make it for Christmas.
- Cover grated orange peel with water and boil 5 minutes.
- Drain and rinse, discarding water.
- Barely cover with cold water, about ¼ cup.
- Add ½ cup sugar and cook until peel is tender and water is cooked away; cool.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (~175°C).
- Mix thoroughly all items under List 2.
- Add cooled peel to this mixture and
- Pour into greased and floured 9 x 5 x 3 inch (23 x 13 x 8 cm) pan.
- Bake 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick comes out dry when inserted in the loaf.
Notes, tips, and variationsEdit
- Good warm and plain, or toasted and buttered.