Cookbook:Nigerian Fried Beans
|Nigerian Fried Beans
Nigerian fried beans is a Nigerian dish of cooked beans fried with vegetables.
- Spread the beans out on a tray, and pick out any stones or debris.
- Transfer the beans to a pot, and cover them with cool water. Allow them to soak for several hours, preferably overnight. Drain away the brown soaking liquid.
- Cover the beans with fresh water and bring the pot to a boil. Simmer until the beans are soft, occasionally pressing a bean against the side of the pot to check its consistency. Add additional water as needed.
- Remove the cooked beans from the heat, and drain away any remaining liquid.
- Heat some vegetable oil in a pot. Add the chopped tomatoes, and fry for 1 minute.
- Add the onions and garlic, and cook until the tomatoes and onions are tender.
- Add the crayfish, stock cubes, salt, and pepper. Cook for a few minutes.
- Add the carrots, green beans, peas, and spring onions. Cook for a minute or two.
- Add the cooked beans, and stir thoroughly to incorporate. Cover the pot, and simmer over low heat for about 10 minutes. This allows the flavors to meld and permeate the beans.
- Serve hot.