Cookbook:Nigerian Corn Porridge and Beans
|Nigerian Corn Porridge and Beans
Beans and corn porridge, called adalu in Yoruba, is a traditional Nigerian dish of beans and corn.
- If using canned corn, drain and discard the liquid. If using fresh corn on the cob, cut the kernels away from the cob.
- Pick over the beans to remove dirt and debris. Rinse them, and transfer them to a pot.
- Cover the beans with water, and add the onion if using. Bring to a boil, and cook until the beans are soft.
- Stir in the corn kernels, ground crayfish, pepper, and stock cube. Simmer until the corn is softened.
- After about 12 minutes, stir well. Add the palm oil and salt, and simmer a few more minutes.
Notes, tips, and variations edit
- If using raw corn, add the corn in the initial bean-cooking step because it takes time for the corn to soften.