|Never Fail Pie Crust|
|Servings||3 pie crusts|
|Time||prep: 30 minutes|
This quick pastry is a no-fail recipe made easily with ingredients usually found in most kitchens. Be sure to use cold water and keep well-wrapped until ready to use.
In contrast to bread, pie crust and other pastries should be made in a way that minimizes the development of gluten. Once the water has been added, the dough should be worked as little as possible, to minimize toughness in the finished crust.
- Combine flour, shortening and salt. Cut in shortening with fork (or pastry blender) until it resembles corn meal.
- Combine water and vinegar with beaten egg. Add to flour mixture a little at a time until a soft dough forms.
- Divide dough into three discs, and use or freeze individually.
- When using, roll out onto a floured surface to desired measurements.
- Makes three single crusts.
- Note: When baking two pies at once, rotate the pies 180 degrees at 15 minutes and 45 minutes to ensure the crust does not burn due to its proximity to the oven walls.