Neapolitan sauce refers to a tomato-based sauce derived from those in Italian cuisine.
This page incorporates text from the public domain cookbook The Cook's Decameron: A Study In Taste, Containing Over Two Hundred Recipes For Italian Dishes by Emily Waters.
- Fry the chopped onion in a saucepan of butter with the ham.
- Add the marsala wine and blond of veal.
- Add the thyme, bay leaf, peppercorns, clove, and mushroom. Cook until reduced by half.
- In another saucepan heat the Espagnole sauce, tomato sauce, and game stock or essence. Cook until reduced by a third.
- Add the contents of the first saucepan, boil the sauce a few minutes, and pass it through a sieve.
- Warm it up in a bain-marie before using.