Cookbook:Mushroom Barley Bean Soup
For 10 servings:
- Soak the beans for several hours and set aside.
- In a large pot (the same one you'll make the soup in), sauté onion for about 3 minutes.
- Add carrots and zucchini; sauté 5 minutes more.
- Add mushrooms, sauté until they release all their liquid.
- Add the water, barley, beans, spices, and stock (or soup mix).
- Cook for a few hours.
Notes, tips, and variationsEdit
- Mushrooms release a lot of liquid when cooking. You can add this liquid to the soup, as directed above, or boil it off to make more strongly flavored vegetables.
- Cubed meat can be added to this soup.