- Butter the first slice of bread and cover with ham and chicken.
- Butter the middle slice on both sides, place on meat, and cover with cheese.
- Butter the third slice and place, butter down, over cheese.
- Trim crusts, then cut sandwich in two and secure with toothpicks
- Dip in light egg batter, and fry in butter on all sides until golden brown.
- Remove toothpicks and serve with currant jelly, strawberry jam, or cranberry sauce.
- ↑ Encyclopedia of American Food and Drink, John F. Mariani [Lebhar-Friedman:New York] 1999 (p. 209)
- ↑ The Brown Derby Cookbook [Doubleday & Company:Garden City NY] 1949 (p. 183)