- Place molasses, sugar, vinegar and water in a heavy saucepan and cook to 255-270˚F (124-132˚C). The hotter the syrup, the harder the final taffy will be.
- Remove from heat and add butter, cream of tartar and baking soda.
- Pour into buttered pan or onto marble surface, and let cool slightly.
- When cool and thick enough to handle, grease your hands. Grab the candy mixture with both hands, and stretch it apart while twisting slightly. Repeat this process, pulling and twisting the candy until light in color. This pulling and twisting process incorporates air and lightens the candy.
- Cut into one-inch pieces; wrap in squares of waxed paper.