(Redirected from Cookbook:Mirliton casserole)
|Time||prep: 30-45 minutes (preparing mirliton)|
baking: 15-30 minutes
- 6 medium mirliton (chayote squash), halved lengthwise
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2-3 stalks celery, sliced or diced
- 1 medium to large green bell pepper, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 Lb (500g) shrimp (whole), peeled (or 1/2 Lb. [250g] ground beef) (can be left out)
- 1 bay leaf
- salt, pepper, and parsley to taste
- bread crumbs
- butter (1 stick, 1/2 cup, 113 grams) (olive oil may be substituted -- enough to cover your pan)
- Place mirliton halves seed-side up in a microwave or oven-safe dish with approximately 1 inch (2.5cm) of water in the dish. Cover with foil (for oven) or plastic wrap (for microwave) and cook in oven (350F/175C) or microwave (high at 10 minute intervals) until mirliton are soft enough to stick a fork or knife through easily. Allow mirliton to cool enough to be handled and dice into large pieces.
- Sauté onion, celery, and garlic in butter over medium heat, adding garlic to sauté just before onion, celery, and garlic are fully softened.
- Add shrimp or beef to pan until beef is lightly browned or until shrimp is just turning pink. (Skip this step if you aren't adding meat.)
- Incorporate mirliton and bay leaf and allow to simmer for five to ten minutes.
- Remove from heat and add salt, pepper, and parsley to taste. Pour mixture into a casserole dish and cover with bread crumbs. Bake in the oven at 350F (175C) until the mirliton is bubbling and the bread crumbs are browned.