|Time||Prep: 30–45 minutes|
Baking: 15–30 minutes
- 6 medium mirliton (chayote squash), halved lengthwise
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2–3 stalks celery, sliced or diced
- 1 medium to large green bell pepper, diced
- 2–3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb (500 g) whole shrimp, peeled OR ½ lb (250 g) ground beef (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- Bread crumbs
- 1 stick (½ cup / 113 g) butter (olive oil may be substituted)
- Place mirliton halves seed-side up in a microwave- or oven-safe dish with approximately 1 inch (2.5cm) of water in the dish. Cover with foil (for oven) or plastic wrap (for microwave) and cook in oven (350°F/175°C) or microwave (high at 10 minute intervals) until mirliton are soft enough to stick a fork or knife through easily. Allow mirliton to cool enough to be handled and dice into large pieces.
- Sauté onion, celery, and garlic in butter over medium heat, adding garlic to sauté just before onion, celery, and garlic are fully softened.
- Add shrimp or beef to pan until beef is lightly browned or until shrimp is just turning pink. Skip this step if you aren't adding meat.
- Incorporate mirliton and bay leaf and allow to simmer for 5–10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add salt, pepper, and parsley to taste. Pour mixture into a casserole dish and cover with bread crumbs.
- Bake in the oven at 350°F (175°C) until the mirliton is bubbling and the bread crumbs are browned.