Cookbook | Ingredients | Recipes | Rice
Microwave risotto is made using the microwave. It requires very little stirring and turns out quite well.
Makes 3 main dish servings or 6 side dish servings.
- In a saucepan, bring chicken broth, salt and pepper to a low simmer, keep warm until needed.
- In an 8×8×2-inch (20×20×5.1-cm) oven proof dish (or 10-inch (25 cm) quiche dish), heat oil and butter in microwave for 2 minutes.
- Add minced onion to the oven proof dish, stir to coat with oil, cook in microwave for 4 minutes.
- Add uncooked rice to the oven proof dish, stir to coat with oil, cook in microwave for another 4 minutes.
- Pour simmering chicken broth into the oven proof dish and stir well. Microwave 9 minutes.
- Stir rice and chicken broth well and microwave another 9 minutes.
- If a creamier risotto is desired, add ¼ cup (60 milliliters / 2.0 US fluid ounces) warm water, stir well and microwave for another 2 minutes.
Notes, tips and variationsEdit
- For a 750-watt microwave, use 100% power settings for each time interval. For 1000 or 1500-watt microwaves, use 70% power settings for each time interval.
- As a variation, use 2½ cups (625 milliliters / 1.32 US pints) chicken broth and ½ cup (125 milliliters / 4.2 US fluid ounces) white wine.
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese may also be added after cooking.