Cookbook:MPT (Mozzarella Pasta with Tomato and Basil)
This is a delicious and quick recipe for a sunny day, or to bring back a little memory of summer. It's served warm so may not suit a winter evening! The combination of flavours (milky mozzarella, eggy pasta, sweet tomato and spicy basil) is just wonderful.
The secret here is to prepare all the ingredients except the pasta ahead of time and let them soak together. I tend to stand the prepared bowl of ingredients in a sink full of hot water, so that the mozzarella starts to soften and the juices start to run.
- Chop the mozzarella and the tomatoes roughly and put them in a big salad type dish.
- Now tear up the basil and sprinkle it over the mozzarella and tomatoes.
- Drizzle on lots of extra virgin olive oil - at least 3 tablespoons (I usually do more!)
- Finally add a really good amount of salt and just a little black pepper. The salt will start to leech moisture out from the other ingredients and create a sauce.
- When you're ready, boil up the egg pasta, drain when cooked al dente (as usual) and then pour, still hot, on the other ingredients. Stir it up well, coating everything very well, and serve.