Cookbook:Luciabullar (Scandinavian Saffron Buns)
|Luciabullar (Scandinavian Saffron Buns)|
Cookbook | Ingredients | Recipes | Holiday recipes
Lussekatter or luciabullar are Scandinavian saffron buns served on St. Lucia Day (13 December).
- Combine the yeast and warm water.
- Mix saffron into the warm half and half and let stand.
- Combine the yeast and saffron mixtures. Mix in the melted butter, eggs, sugar, and salt.
- Mix half of flour into the wet mixture and beat until well-blended.
- Mix in additional flour until dough is smooth but not too firm. Knead on floured surface for ten minutes.
- Place dough in buttered bowl and let rise about 1½ hours or until doubled in volume.
- Divide the dough into multiple pieces. Roll each piece into a 7 inch-long snake, and form into an 'S' shape with the ends curled in. Place a raisin in each curl.
- Place buns on buttered sheet pan, cover, and let rise 45 minutes.
- Brush with beaten egg and bake at 375–400°F (190–200°C) for 10–15 minutes until golden and cooked through.
Let the dough rise until doubled
Brush with beaten egg
Let the finished buns cool off