Cookbook | Ingredients | Recipes
|Lasagne with Red and White Sauce|
|Time||1 hour 30 minutes|
||1/8 of recipe (400 g)
|Servings Per Recipe:
|Amount per serving
|Calories from fat
- 1 box (1 lb/450 g) Lasagna noodles, optionally cooked according to package directions
- 1 ½ cups (185 g/6.5 oz) grated mozzarella
- Large pot
- Medium-sized pot, preferably with thick bottom
- Deep casserole dish
- Heat olive oil in large pot on medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic, and stir. Let fry for about 2–3 minutes. Do not let the garlic burn.
- Add rosemary oregano, carrots, and celery. Stir and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Stir in the ground beef. Cook until it is fully browned.
- Stir in the tomato pulp, basil, salt, and pepper.
- Cook everything for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. If it gets too thick, add some water.
- Melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed pot over medium-low heat.
- When the foam has subsided, add the flour and whisk until it is smooth and free of lumps. This is called a roux.
- Cook the roux for 5–6 minutes on low until the floury taste has disappeared. Do not let it brown.
- Gradually stir in the cold milk until fully incorporated, with no lumps.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring until the mixture comes to a simmer.
- Simmer, stirring, for a few more minutes.
- Stir in the salt, pepper, thyme, and nutmeg.
- Allow the bechamel to cool.
- Preheat oven to 390°F/200°C.
- Cover bottom of casserole dish with a bit of Bolognese sauce.
- Cover with a layer of lasagna noodles, breaking or cutting to fit if necessary.
- Layer on some Bolognese sauce and bechamel sauce. Keep on layering lasagna noodles, Bolognese sauce, and bechamel sauce until you reach the rim of the dish.
- Cover with mozzarella.
- Bake for about 30–40 minutes until the top is golden brown.
Notes, tips, and variations
- Bolognese sauce is also a great pasta sauce to go with spaghetti.
- The dish can easily be prepared a day ahead and baked when needed.