Cookbook:Kugelis (Lithuanian Baked Potato Pudding)
|Kugelis (Lithuanian Baked Potato Pudding)|
Kugelis, also called bulvių plokštainis (literally "flat potato dish") or banda, is a Lithuanian baked potato pudding. Its main ingredients are potatoes, bacon, milk, onions, and eggs. It may be spiced with salt, black pepper, bay leaves, and/or marjoram. It is usually eaten with sour cream and/or crumbled fried fat white bacon (spirgai).
- Combine the grated potatoes and onions.
- Fry and crumble bacon. Add to the potato mixture along with ¼ cup bacon fat. Mix well.
- Beat the eggs, and stir in the evaporated milk, melted butter, salt, and pepper.
- Mix the egg mixture into the potato mixture.
- Pour into a well-greased 9x13-inch cake pan—it should just barely fit.
- Bake at 350°F (175°C) for 90 minutes.
- Slice into squares, and top with sour cream or applesauce.