Cookbook:Koshary (Egyptian Pasta Salad with Rice and Lentils)
Koshari, alternately spelled koshari or kushari, is an Egyptian dish of rice, pasta, and legumes. It combines elements of both Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cuisines.
For 7 servings:
- If using dried chickpeas and lentils, soak them in water overnight.
- Boil the rice, chickpeas, and lentils until tender. Cook the macaroni until al dente. Drain all.
- In a sealable container (e.g. a tupperware), layer the rice, the lentils, and the macaroni, and then the chickpeas. This is the koshari base.
- Sauté the diced onions in olive oil until crisp. Drain off the excess oil if desired, and reserve for garnish.
- Mix the tomato paste and water in a saucepan. Put on medium high heat, and stir in the cumin, black pepper and vinegar.
- Heat the sauce until most of the liquid evaporates.
- Add warm or hot water, and simmer it on low heat. Using a hand blender to increase consistency is optional.
- Scoop 1.5 cups of the koshari base into an individual bowl.
- Pour some sauce over the serving.
- Garnish with 1 tablespoon of the onions.
- Add vinegar and black pepper to taste, and serve.