Cookbook:Khao Pad Gai (Thai Chicken Fried Rice)
|Khao Pad Gai (Thai Chicken Fried Rice)|
|Servings||3 as a meal|
Cookbook | Ingredients | Recipes
Khao pad gai is Thai-style fried rice with chicken, as street vendors in the central region of Thailand make it. Note that this is a very imprecise recipe, and so "cups" means "handfuls". Any measuring tool that holds about the capacity of a large handful will do.
- Peanut oil
- 1 large chicken breast, sliced in thin strips
- 2 eggs, unbeaten
- 4 cups (900 g) cooked Thai jasmine rice, refrigerated overnight
- ½ yellow onion, chopped into strips
- ¾ roma tomato, cut into strips
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- ¾ cup (180 g) cilantro, finely chopped
- Thai fish sauce (nam pla)
- Soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp sugar (preferably palm sugar)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced and fried
- 1 tsp MSG
- 2 Tbsp Thai chili sauce
- Make sure that all of the ingredients are prepared and set aside in small bowls by the stove.
- Add about 4 Tbsp peanut oil to the wok, and turn the flame to high heat.
- When the oil is almost smoking, add the chicken strips and push around vigorously with a wok spoon or spatula.
- When the chicken seems as if it is starting to brown, push it up the side of the wok and crack the eggs into the wok.
- Stir the eggs around a bit. When almost fully scrambled, mix in the chicken and stir around for 30 seconds more.
- Push the eggs/chicken to the side, add some more oil, and throw in the tomato and onion. Stir-fry for about 5 minutes. They will not look done, but in the end, they will be fine.
- Add the cold cooked rice and mix it all in.
- Turn the heat to low, then add a few splashes of fish sauce and soy sauce to taste.
- Add sugar, salt, MSG, a splash of vinegar, and chili sauce if wanted. Lastly, add the fried garlic on top. Stir it all in and turn off the heat.
- On a large platter, arrange the garnishes on a lettuce leaf, and plate the fried rice next to it.
- Eat the garnishes with the fried rice.