- Set aside ½ cup of the milk. Boil the remaining milk.
- Add cold water to cornmeal to wet it.
- Slowly pour the cornmeal mixture into the boiling milk. Add salt.
- Boil for 15 minutes, stirring constantly. If skin forms, remove it. Remove from heat, set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix molasses with baking soda, the ½ cup cold milk, and brown sugar.
- Add the spices and the beaten egg yolks to this mixture.
- Slowly pour the molasses mixture into the cornmeal mixture.
- Fold in the whipped egg whites.
- Grease or butter a baking dish, add the batter, and bake for 1 hour at 350°F.