- Boil the milk (less ½ cup removed).
- Add cold water to cornmeal to wet it.
- Slowly pour the cornmeal mixture into the boiling milk. Add salt.
- Boil for 15 minutes, stirring constantly. If skin forms, remove it. Remove from heat, set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix molasses with baking soda; the ½ cup cold milk (set aside previously) and brown sugar.
- Add the spices and the beaten egg yolks to this mixture.
- Slowly pour the molasses mixture into the cornmeal mixture.
- Fold in stiff beaten egg whites.
- Grease or butter the pan and bake for an hour at 350°F.