Cookbook:Imitation Cheese (Vegan)
Cookbook | Ingredients | Recipes | Vegan Cuisine | Breakfast
A vegan cheese that mainly consists of potato, oil and soy.
- mashed potatoes (5 large, hard boiling potatoes, 750g - 1kg) (or potato starch)
- corn flour (or breading mixture, Paniermehl)
- soy sauce (20ml) or yeast extract
- salt or celery salt
- Bear's garlic, garlic, any other herbs, e.g. paprika, thyme, rosemary, cumin, oregano and savory
- seasoning mix (corn flour, salt, chili, onion, garlic, paprika, sodium glutamate), or Mexican Taco Seasoning Mix
- seasoning mix "Chili" (1-3g), e.g., chilies, orange zest, sesame, paprika, traces: celery and mustard.
- vegetable stock (1-5g) (salt, yeast extract, corn flour, sun flower oil, onions, carrots, spices, parsley) (commercially available)
- unrefined sugar (or sugar not refined using the char method)
- rapeseed oil or other vegetable oil (20ml)
- vinegar (10ml)
- agar (that wasn't very successful, it didn't change consistency much)
- Boil potatoes until they are not quite done. If the potatoes are not completely done the resulting substance may be sliceable, although it will be easy to spread anyway.
- Take the mashed potatoes and add soy sauce and yeast extract generously and mix it with some margarine and/or some rapeseed oil. Some corn flour, breading mixture or wheat flour help to make the substance drier and, in case of corn flour, add significantly to the taste. (soy flour is unsuitable here due to its taste). A small amount of lecithin powder can be added as an emulgator but is not really necessary. It it's healthy and, being hydrophilic and lipophilic, it binds together the water and the oil.
- Mix the ingredients. The substance should take on the consistency of peanut butter but have more the color of cheese than anything else.
- The taste isn't yet close to cheese but getting closer. Corn flour, either in a seasoning mix or just plain corn flour gets us closer to cheese now. If you add enough seasoning mix the color will be much closer to peanut butter now but you may opt to leave away the seasoning mix altogether and just add corn flour, separately or with the vegetable stock. Adding cumin is also highly recommended. Another alternative is the Chili season mix, which can also be combined with other spices, for example vegetable stock, sugar and cumin. Vinegar may increase durability in the refrigerator but more than 4 days are not recommended.
- You can add bear's garlic, garlic, onions and/or any herbs you like (e.g., fresh thyme) to the cheese. A pinch of sugar can add to the taste but may not be compatible with all other spices.
- Fill the substance into a small, round form, to give it the form of a cheddar cheese.
Variant with riceEdit
In the variant with rice about half (up to two thirds) of the base substance is replaced by mashed rice. The advantage of mashed rice is that it results in a more cheese like substance, which dries better.
Variant with vegetable stockEdit
The variant with vegetable stock can be made with less soy sauce. Mexican Taco Seasoning Mix can be used but is not required, because the vegetable stock is already very spicy. The variant can be combined with rice.
Variant with vegan cheese sauceEdit
A dairy free cheese flavor sauce mix can be suitable to acquire a stronger cheese flavor.
Freezing is not recommended. There was a single case where freezing seemed to even have improved the consistency (making it a bit like tofu) but this lacks reproducibility.
With tomato, basil and garlicEdit
Best served slightly heated (e.g., on a solar oven) on ciabatta with a splash of warm olive or rapeseed oil, mixed with a mashed clove of garlic and with a slice of tomato and a leaf of basil.
With onions and grapesEdit
Put the cheese on a slice of bread and sprinkle hackled onions on top. Bake in a toaster oven or grill until the onions turn only slightly glassy. Grapes cut in halves make a good topping and complement the taste.