Holzknechtnocken, translated as Lumberjacks’ Dumplings, is a traditional dish from Ebensee in Austria. In former times lumberjacks had to stay in the forest for days and would prepare dumplings. Hot water was poured over flour and salt to make the dough, which was then kneaded and formed into dumplings. Sometimes semolina was added to the dough to vary the dish. The dumplings were boiled and fried, and served with cabbage (sauerkraut), stewed apples or plums.
Today, Holzknechtnocken are still very popular and can be eaten sweet or savory.
- 1 cup (250g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 cup (250 ml) boiling water
- Mix flour and salt in a large bowl and add water. Knead until you get a dough.
- Form dumplings and put them into boiling water. When dumplings rise to the surface of the water, they are done.
- Melt lard in a heavy-bottomed pan with deep sides. Add dumplings, and fry until they are golden.
- Serve with sauerkraut or steamed apples.
Stuffed Holzknechtnocken strawberry-curd au gratinEdit
For 4 servings:
- 1 cup (250 g) wheat flour
- a pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 ½ cups (375 ml) boiling water
- 2 cups (500 g) strawberries, washed and stemmed
- 3 tbsp butter, melted
- sugar or honey
- lemon juice
For the strawberry-curd gratin:
- ¼ cup (70 g) butter
- lemon peel
- vanilla sugar
- ¼ cup (50 g) confectioners’ sugar
- 2 eggs
- ⅛ L cream
- ½ cup (100 g) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (250 g) curd cheese
- 1 tbsp creme fraiche
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, salt, oil, and hot water. Knead until you get a dough.
- Divide dough into 8 pieces. Flatten each piece, and wrap around a single whole strawberry. Pinch shut to form a dumpling.
- Boil dumplings for 5 to 7 minutes in salted water. Coat in melted butter.
- Cut remaining strawberries into pieces. Toss with sugar and lemon juice.
- Beat butter, lemon-peel, vanilla, and confectioners’ sugar until creamy. Mix in egg yolks.
- Whisk egg-whites.
- Whip cream with crystal sugar.
- Mix whipped cream with curd cheese and creme fraiche, add the gratin and whisked egg whites.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C
- Put gratin onto strawberries, place dumplings on top and sprinkle with sugar. Gratinate your deluxe haute-cuisine Holzknechtnocken and impress your friends.
- Ebenseer Fotoklub. Brauchtum in Ebensee. Ed. Traudl Neubacher. 1987.
- http://www.rundschau.co.at/lokales/artikel/2008/01/23/aich-bin-der-holzknechtnocken-sigia (interview with Holzknechtnocken-Sigi)
- http://www.hallstatt.net/publisher/articleview/action/view/frmArticleID/220/ (website of the lumberjacks’ museum in Bad Goisern)
- http://www.brauchtumsseiten.de/a-z/f/fetzenumzug/home.html (more about ancient customs in Ebensee)
- http://www.brauchtumsseiten.de/a-z/g/gloeckerllaufen/home.html (more information on the Glöcklerlauf)