- Pour about an inch of water into a large saucepan, bring to a simmer over medium heat, and reduce the heat to low.
- Place egg yolks and 1 teaspoon of water in a medium mixing bowl and whisk until mixture lightens in color (1-2 minutes). Add the sugar and whisk for another 30 seconds.
- Place the mixture over the simmering water and whisk for 3 to 5 minutes, until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove the bowl from over the saucepan and gradually add the butter one small piece at a time, and whisk until the butter is incorporated. Place the bowl back over the simmering water occasionally to the melt the added butter.
- Add the salt, lemon juice, and cayenne pepper and serve immediately.
- Melt the butter (should not get brown, just melted)
- Add the double cream and the egg yolks
- Add the pepper and the nutmeg
- Heat up with a finger in the sauce and do not stop mixing
- When you can not bear the heat then remove from fire and serve