Cookbook:Holland Tea Cakes
|Holland Tea Cakes
Holland tea cakes are simple flat cookies. They are easy and quick to make. They are traditionally Christmas cookies but are good for any time. They last for a long time, so if you make too many they can be saved.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Mix the butter and sugar until completely combined. Mix in the egg yolk, then the flour and cinnamon (preferably by hand, though this all can be done in a mixer if you want).
- Pour batter into a cookie pan. Use the palm of your hand to spread and smooth it over the whole pan (this is the hardest part).
- Brush on leftover egg white. Scatter your desired toppings evenly over the batter.
- Bake in preheated oven until cookies are golden brown (about 20 minutes). Remove, and let cool slightly.
- Before they get too cool, cut them into small 1-inch (2.5 cm) squares.
Notes, tips, and variations edit
- Egg substitutes can be used in place of the egg yolk, but you still need egg white for the topping.