Cookbook:Hachee (Dutch Beef Stew)
(Redirected from Cookbook:Hachee)
- about 1 pound (450 g) stewing beef, cut in bite-sized pieces
- about ¼ cup (30 g) flour
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon butter or margarine
- 3 or 4 large onions, sliced in rings
- 5 whole cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cube of beef bouillon or 1 ½ tsp powdered stock, combined with 1 cup water
- 1 cup (250 ml) warm water
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 bottle of dark beer or 12 ounces of beef stock
- Mix flour, salt, and pepper. Dredge meat pieces in this mixture.
- Melt butter in heavy pan, add mat, and sear until lightly browned.
- Add onions and seasonings. Cook, stirring, until onions start to get transparent.
- Stir together water and bouillon cube/powder until well dissolved. Add to meat/onion mixture along with vinegar and beer.
- Bring to a boil, then lower heat and let simmer about 3 hours until meat is tender. Stir occasionally to avoid scorching.
- Check seasoning, and add salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve over rice.