Cookbook:Grilled Eggplant with Garlic Butter
Making the eggplant "sweat" seems kind of weird, but it is reasonable. It helps bitter flavors come out of the eggplant.
- 2 medium eggplants, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Olive oil
- 1 tbs minced garlic
- 1 (1/2 cup) stick of butter
- Fold garlic into butter. Shape into a narrow log using parchment or wax paper and refrigerate until needed.
- Sprinkle all sides of eggplant with salt. Let sit 15 minutes or until it "sweats". Just leave it, no touching. Crack a beer, I don't care. Just don't touch.
- Rinse eggplant. Pat dry with paper towels and brush with olive oil. Season liberally on both sides with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Preheat grill to medium high.
- Add eggplant and cook until marked and slightly charred on both sides. Place a pat of butter mixture on top of each piece and wait until butter is melted before serving.
Save the extra butter. Use it instead of regular butter for things like chicken, fish, and steak.