- Fold garlic into butter. Shape into a narrow log using parchment or wax paper, and refrigerate until needed.
- Sprinkle all sides of eggplant with salt. Let sit 15 minutes or until it "sweats". Leave it without touching.
- Rinse eggplant. Pat dry with paper towels, and brush with olive oil.
- Season liberally on both sides with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Add eggplant to grill, and cook until marked and slightly charred on both sides.
- Place a pat of butter mixture on top of each piece and wait until butter is melted before serving.
Notes, tips, and variations
- Save the extra garlic butter. Use it instead of regular butter for things like chicken, fish, and steak.
- Making the eggplant "sweat" helps bitter flavors come out of the eggplant.