Cookbook | Ingredients | Recipes | Breakfast | Sauces
Sausage or bacon gravy over biscuits is popular regional breakfast cuisine in the southern United States. This is a vegetarian version of that dish.
For about 2 cups of gravy:
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons imitation bacon bits (Bacos are soy based)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Salt (or seasoning salt) and pepper to taste
- Place oil in frying pan over medium heat.
- Add flour, stirring constantly, allow to cook until slightly browned. (this creates a roux)
- Slowly add milk, stir constantly with whisk to remove any lumps.
- Add imitation bacon bits and continue to cook until gravy thickens.
- When thickened, remove from heat and stir in butter and add salt (or seasoning salt) and pepper to taste.
- Serve over biscuits.