Cookbook:German Potato Salad
|German Potato Salad|
German potato salad is a popular variation of potato salad that is generally served warm. It is typically more sour and contains pork or bacon.
- 1 ¾ lbs (790 g) red potatoes
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 5 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp Riesling wine
- 4 tbsp beef stock
- 4 tbsp chicken stock
- 8 tbsp chopped red onion
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp wheat flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp coarse prepared mustard
- 1 tbsp chopped green onions
- ¼ lb (113 g) uncooked chopped bacon
- Peel, thinly slice, and boil the potatoes about 17 minutes or until done but still somewhat firm. Drain, set aside, and allow to cool.
- Cook the bacon until crisp. Crumble or chop.
- Reserve a small amount of bacon grease and mix with flour, breaking up all clumps of flour. Cook briefly, but try to avoid browning.
- Add chopped bacon and remaining ingredients and mix.
- Cook for 20 minutes or until smooth at low heat.
- Pour sauce over potatoes and stir gently.
- Serve warm, room temperature, or cooled.