- Slice the tomatoes ¼-½ inch (0.75cm-1.25cm) thick.
- Salt and pepper tomato slices to taste.
- Dip slices in cornmeal and fry in hot (medium is the best setting) grease or oil about 3 minutes or until golden on bottom.
- Gently turn over, and fry the other side.
- Serve by themselves or for a elegant addition, add a little goat cheese.
- 4 to 6 red tomatoes, chilled and sliced
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and black pepper
- Slice the green tomatoes into ¼ inch (0.75cm) slices.
- Combine eggs and milk, whisking until smooth.
- Combine salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, Parmesan, and flour.
- Combine breadcrumbs and Italian seasoning.
- Dip each tomato slice into the egg mixture. Coat with the flour mixture. Dip again into the egg mixture, then finally coat it in the breadcrumb mixture.
- Fry breaded tomato slices in oil until golden brown on all sides.
- Serve by placing one slice of fried green tomato on a small serving plate and generously sprinkling with Parmesan cheese, and top the Parmesan cheese layer with one slice of chilled red tomato. Sprinkle entire dish with a pinch of Parmesan and dash of salt and black pepper.
Notes, tips, and variationsEdit
- Green tomatoes can be hard to find if you don't grow your own, as most supermarkets usually sell only red tomatoes. In this case, it is possible to substitute sliced eggplant for the sliced green tomatoes.