This fried fish is battered and deep-fat fried. You'll need thin fish filets that don't fall apart when cooked. Fried fish go well with soda and can be served with ketchup, lemon juice, or a mixture of the two. They could also be served with sweet-and-sour sauce or teriyaki sauce.
- Start heating the oil in a skillet. This recipe is intended for fast cooking in very hot oil.
- Microwave the fish to ensure that the inside is hot. Flip the fish as you microwave it. When done, the fish should be hot and should look half-cooked.
- Mix the flour, egg white, and beer to make a batter.
- Pat the fish dry with a paper towel, then lightly dust it with flour to ensure that it is really dry.
- Dip the fish into the batter, and coat them well. The batter will help protect your hand from splatter.
- Hold the fish right above the oil, then gently slide the fish into the oil.
- With tongs, nudge the fish as needed to keep it from sticking to the bottom. Turn the fish over as it cooks.
- Remove the fish when it looks good, then serve it immediately.
Notes, tips, and variations edit
- Whip the egg white, or leave it out entirely.
- Add cornmeal to the batter.