- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Pulse for a few seconds and then transfer into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the shortening and knead it into the flour with your hands until it is crumbly.
- Add the milk all at once and mix in with a spatula until it begins to come together.
- Lightly flour your hands and the countertop and turn the dough out onto the countertop.
- Knead the dough ball, folding over 10 to 20 times. Using a rolling pin roll the dough to ⅓ to ½-inch thickness, then cut into rounds using a 2 ¼-inch ring.
- Roll each round as thinly as possible or to 5 to 6 inches in diameter. Spoon 1 to 2 tablespoons of filling onto the dough, brush the edges of half of the dough lightly with the egg wash, fold over and seal the edges together with the tines of a fork, dipping it into flour as needed.
- Gently press down to flatten and evenly distribute the filling. Dock the top of the pies with a fork.
- Heat vegetable oil in a deep-fryer or a large heavy pot to 375 ˚F. Once hot, add 1 to 2 pies at a time and fry until golden brown, approximately 3 to 4 minutes. Drain on a cooling rack.
- Once all pies have been fried, place sugar in a bowl. Roll each pastry in the sugar and serve.
- Place all of the ingredients into a small saucepan over high heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer to a bowl and place in refrigerator to cool completely before using as filling.