- Peel and core the apples, slice them, and place in a saucepan with the water.
- Cook until soft (similar to applesauce), then remove from heat and add butter, sugar and lemon juice; mix well.
- While this is cooling, beat the eggs very well. When the apple mixture is cool, mix in the eggs as well.
- Butter a deep baking dish and spread the breadcrumbs around it so that they stick to the bottom and the sides, keeping a good amount for the top.
- Pour the apple and egg mixture into the dish and cover with a thick layer of breadcrumbs.
- Bake in a moderate oven (350°F / 180°C / Gas Mark 4) for about half an hour.
- Turn out onto a flat dish and sprinkle with sugar before serving.