Cookbook:Fresh Pasta with Mozzarella, Tomato and Basil
|Fresh Pasta with Mozzarella, Tomato and Basil
This recipe, originally contributed by Rich Osborne, is a delicious and quick dish for a sunny day, or to bring back a little memory of summer. The combination of flavours (egg pasta, milky mozzarella, sweet tomato and spicy basil) is just wonderful.
The key here is to prepare all the ingredients except the pasta ahead of time and let them soak together. You can stand the prepared bowl of ingredients in a sink full of hot water, so that the mozzarella starts to soften and the juices from the tomatoes start to run.
- Chop the mozzarella and the tomatoes roughly, and put them in a large dish. You're looking to create small cube shapes between 1 cm and 1 inch.
- Tear up the basil, and sprinkle it over the mozzarella and tomatoes.
- Drizzle on lots of olive oil (at least 3 tablespoons).
- Add a good amount of salt and just a little black pepper. The salt will start to leech moisture out from the other ingredients and create a sauce.
- When you're ready, boil the egg pasta until al dente. Drain the pasta and then pour, still hot, over the other ingredients.
- Stir the pasta up, coating everything really well, and serve.
Notes, tips, and variations edit
- This recipe also works well with brie instead of mozzarella.