Cookbook:Flourless Chocolate Cake
|Flourless Chocolate Cake|
|Time||30 minutes (refrigerated overnight)|
Cookbook | Ingredients | Recipes | Desserts
Flourless chocolate cake is a type of baked chocolate confection. Without flour to provide structure, it is dense and rich. It requires baking and then refrigeration to set.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a bowl set above another pan of simmering water (or use a double boiler).
- Lightly whisk chocolate mix until smooth, then remove from heat and allow to cool, whilst still stirring.
- Beat eggs and sugar in a bowl until the mixture is creamy.
- Gradually mix in the melted chocolate along with any other variants (see below).
- Pour mixture into mould (baking tray or 8 individual moulds).
- Cover moulds with aluminium foil and place the moulds in a deeper baking tray.
- Pour boiling water into the deep baking tray at a depth that is half that of the moulds.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes in a preheated oven at gas mark 2 (300°F or 150°C). Insert a skewer to check if ready: if skewer comes out clean, then it is ready.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool at room temperature.
- Cool for approximately 10 hours in a fridge.
- Remove from mould, place on a plate and garnish.
Notes, tips, and variationsEdit
- The cake can be made to set without refrigeration, by the addition of ½ tsp (3.7 g) guar gum or ¼ tsp (1.9 g) xanthan gum, dispersed in the chocolate mixture.
- Try adding 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of dark rum, ½ tablespoon (7.5 ml) vanilla extract, and/or ⅓ cup (90 ml) of strong brewed coffee into the final mixing process for extra flavour.
- Whipped cream, chocolate, and/or a dusting of icing sugar are all suitable garnishes.
- Try various baking pans and moulds for different shaped cakes.