Cookbook:Flourless Chocolate Cake
|Flourless Chocolate Cake|
|Time||30 minutes (refrigerated overnight)|
A heavy chocolately cake, but without flour it requires baking and then refrigeration to set.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a bowl set above another pan of simmering water (or use a double boiler).
- Lightly whisk chocolate mix until smooth, then remove from heat and allow to cool, whilst still stirring.
- Beat eggs and sugar in a bowl until the mixture is creamy.
- Gradually mix in the melted chocolate along with any other variants (see below).
- Pour mixture into mould (baking tray or 8 individual moulds).
- Cover moulds with aluminium foil and place the moulds in a deeper baking tray.
- Pour boiling water into the deep baking tray at a depth that is half that of the moulds.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes in a preheated oven at gas mark 2 (300°F or 150°C). Insert a skewer to check if ready: if skewer comes out clean, then it is ready.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool at room temperature.
- Cool for approximately 10 hours in a fridge.
- Remove from mould, place on a plate and garnish.
Add 1 tablespoon (15ml) of dark rum, ½ tablespoon (7.5 ml) vanilla extract and ⅓ cup (90ml) of strong brewed coffee into the final mixing process for extra flavour. Whipped cream, chocolate and a dusting of icing sugar are suitable garnishes. Also try various baking pans and moulds for different shaped cakes.