Cookbook:Fish Sauce (Vegan)
|Fish Sauce (Vegan)|
This vegan fish sauce imitation is intended to mimic the umami flavor of the original, which is derived from anchovies.
- Place the seaweed in a pot and add 4 cups of water.
- Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat to keep it bubbling along.
- Cook for 20 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and enough water to make about 6 cups total in the pot.
- Bring back to a boil, then boil fairly high for at least ½ hour.
- At that point, begin to taste (just a little, though—it's strong).
- When the stock is reduced by about half, it will be almost too salty to eat, and that means it is ready.
- Strain through fine mesh or a coffee filter and allow to cool.