Ingredients Fish BiryaniEdit
- 1 kg fish
- 1 tomato - grated
- 2 cups rice - boiled
- 2 cups masoor (red or pink lentils) - boiled
- 2 onions - grated
- 1 cup oil
- 1/2 cup ghee
- 8 small potatoes
- Few cloves, whole peppers, tuj pieces
- 4 whole green chillies
- 4 elachi (green cardamom) pods
- 1 teaspoon jeera (cumin)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- cup yoghurt
- 1. Pound or blend asterisk marked ingredients together, then mix into rest of ingredients. Smear fish slices with marinade and refrigerate for an hour.
- 2. boil masoor and rice separately
- 3. Fry onions in 1/2 oil and when golden in color strain out extra oil. Add 1/2 oil in to the ghee and fry the patties. Keep aside oils in which onions etc. were fried
- 4. Fry fish in separate oil
- 5. In a deep bowl add yoghurt, grated tomato, spices and fried onions ( reserve 1 teaspoon of onion for top of rice). Dip fried fish in the marinade for a few minutes. I a large flat bottomed pot, pour the oils that were left aside in which excess oil was poured, add the remaining ghee and oil, the sprinkle some masoor over it.
- 6. Arrange fish slices and all marinade over masoor and oil/ghee. Cover with rest of masoor.
- 7. Arrange patties over masoor and finally cover the rice. Sprinkle top of rice with the reserved fried onion and hot with ghee.
- 8. Sprinkle 1/4 cup water over rice, close lid tightly and put on heat. when pot starts sizzling lower heat and simmer for 30-40 minutes.
Notes & TricksEdit
On no account must the oil used for frying the fish be used in biryani.