- Place the mushrooms in a medium bowl and fill with hot water to cover. Set aside to reconstitute.
- Place the flour in a shallow bowl. Dredge each piece of chicken through the flour to lightly coat on all sides. Set aside.
- In a large stock pot over medium-high heat, combine the butter and olive oil.
- When the fat begins to sizzle, add the chicken and cook, turning as needed, until lightly browned on all sides, about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove the meat from the pot and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium, and add the onion, garlic, thyme, basil, and rosemary. Sauté until onions begin to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Increase heat to high and add broth and water. Bring the broth to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, cut the meat into bite-size pieces.
- Drain the mushrooms and squeeze any liquid from them.
- When the broth is simmering, lower heat to medium-high and add the meat, mushrooms, peas, and carrots.
- Return to a simmer, and cook until the carrots are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the pasta and celery and cook until just tender, about another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the parsley and lemon juice, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
Notes, tips, and variations
- This version is not gluten-free.