Cookbook:Crispy Fish Sandwich
|Crispy Fish Sandwich|
This is the ultimate crispy fish sandwich: arugula, crispy fish with just a little heat, with homemade tartar sauce on a grilled ciabatta bun. Makes your mouth water just thinking about it, right?
- 4 fresh or frozen tilapia fillets, thawed if frozen
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 ½ tbsp cayenne pepper
- Freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- Olive oil
- 4 ea. 3-inch ciabatta buns, split in half
- 2 ½ quarts peanut, canola, corn, safflower, or soybean oil
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 small jalapeño, finely minced
- ¼ dill pickle, finely chopped
- 1 cup arugula lettuce
- Season fish with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and cayenne.
- Dredge fish in cornmeal and dip in lemon juice. Dredge again in cornmeal and let sit 2–3 minutes.
- Heat oil to 350°F. Working carefully, add fish. Fry 2 at a time for three minutes. Drain on a cooling rack set in a sheet pan. Repeat with remaining fish.
- Brush cut sides of bun with olive oil. Season with kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper.
- Place cut side down on a grill pan preheated over medium high heat. Cook until marked and toasted.
- Combine mayonnaise, jalapeño, and pickle. Spread mixture liberally on cut side of grilled buns. Set aside.
- Place a piece of fish on top of half the buns. Top with arugula and then top with another half-bun. Serve warm.