- Heat water and shortening in saucepan until it boils up well.
- Add all at once flour sifted with salt and stir vigorously.
- Remove from heat as soon as mixed.
- Cool, and mix in unbeaten eggs, one at a time.
- Add baking powder; mix.
- Drop by spoonfuls 1½ inches (4cm) apart on greased tin, shaping into circular form with spoon but keeping mixture higher in center.
- Bake about 30 minutes in hot oven.
- Cut with sharp knife near base to admit filling.
- Mix dry ingredients (sugar, cornstarch and salt).
- Add slightly beaten egg.
- Stir into this gradually the scalded milk.
- Cook about 15 minutes in double boiler, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Cool slightly and add vanilla extract and whisk vigorously for creaminess.
Tips and variationsEdit
- Sweetened whipped cream may be used instead of this filling.
- Rather than cutting the pastries open, spoon the filling into a pastry bag, then inject it from the bottom.
- Dust with powdered sugar or drizzle with semi-sweet chocolate