Crème chantilly is whipped cream, lightly sweetened and flavoured with vanilla. It is attributed to the French chef François Vatel, chef to Louis XIV in the 17th century, who is said to have served it for the first time for a banquet at the Château de Chantilly.
Yield: 1 pint
- 1 cup (250 ml) heavy cream
- 2 Tbs. sifted confectioner's (powdered) sugar
- 1 - 2 tsp. vanilla extract, or cognac, rum or liqueur
- In a chilled 3-quart bowl, beat the cream until it forms soft peaks.
- Fold in the powdered sugar and flavouring.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.