|Time||Prep: 20 minutes|
Cooking: 15-20 minutes
A cinnamon bun (or a cinnamon roll) is a type of pastry made with cinnamon, sugar and butter.
Pastry Based on flour all-purpose flour 2 cups 250 100% baking powder 4 teaspoons 18.4 7.36% salt 1 teaspoon 6 2.4% shortening ½ cup 102.5 41% milk [note 2] ¾ cup 183 73.2% Formula 559.9 223.96% Filling [note 3] Based on sugar brown sugar ¾ cup 165 76.74% white sugar ¼ cup 50 23.26% cinnamon 2 teaspoons 5.2 2.42% salt Pinch of 0.375 0.17% butter, melted 1 tablespoon 14.2 6.6% Formula 234.775 109.2% Topping [note 4] Based on sugar icing sugar 1 cup 120 100% liquid (cream is recommended, milk and water also work) 1 tablespoon 15 12.5% Formula 135 112.5%
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Cut-in the shortening.
- Add the milk, stirring with a knife until the dough is soft and slightly sticky.
- Knead the dough until it "springs back" when you push your hand into it.
- Roll the dough into a 9" by 13" (23cm by 30cm) rectangle. Use a 9" by 13" (23cm by 30cm) baking pan as a mould for the size.
- Brush butter over the dough, leaving about ¼" (0.75cm) around the edges clear.
- Combine brown sugar, white sugar, cinnamon and salt. Sprinkle on buttered dough, leaving about ¼" around the edges clear.
- Press the sugar mixture down. Roll the dough up lengthwise into a log, as tight as you can.
- Trim the edges, cut into eight pieces.
- Arrange the buns in a small pan, so that all the buns are touching.
- Bake at 425°F (210˚C) for 15-20 minutes.
- Combine icing sugar and liquid. Whisk together.
- Spread topping on buns after they have cooled.
- Weight conversions from USDA National Nutrient Database. Original recipe ingredient order preserved. Presumed whole milk of 3.25% milkfat. Pinch defined as 1/16 tsp.
- Baker's percentage is high and dough may be too soft to easily manage.
- Brown sugar presumed as packed. Filling sugar weight is 86% of dough's flour weight.
- Icing or powdered sugar presumed as unsifted. Icing sugar weight is 48% of dough's flour weight.