- Crumble the raw ground beef into the cold water.
- Add remaining ingredients and spices. Stir well, breaking the meat up before cooking.
- Cover and simmer over low heat for two hours, stirring occasionally.
- Cool, then refrigerate and remove solidified grease.
- Reheat and serve as desired.
Notes, tips, and variations
- Serve over spaghetti. Top with cheese to make a Three-way, top with onions and cheese to make a Four-way, top with cooked pinto beans, onions and cheese to make a Five-way. May also be used as hot dog sauce with mustard and minced onions to make a Coney, adding shredded cheese to make a Cheese Coney.