Cookbook:Chili Cornbread Casserole
|Chili Cornbread Casserole|
|Time||Prep: ½ hour|
Total: 45 minutes
- 4 strips bacon, cut in small pieces
- 1½ tablespoons brown sugar
- 1¼ teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon diced jalapeños (canned)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1½ teaspoons paprika
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1¼ pounds hamburger meat
- 1 pound beef, cut into small pieces
- Black pepper
- 1 can (15-ounces) diced tomatoes
- Fry bacon at medium-high heat in big skillet.
- Lower heat to medium and add the brown sugar, chili powder, coffee, cumin, jalapeños, oregano, and paprika.
- Cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add beef pieces and hamburger meat, and cook until lightly done (maybe 8 or 10 minutes).
- While beef is cooking, start on cornbread.
- Add tomatoes to skillet and cook 1 minute, stirring deeply to keep anything from sticking to the bottom.
- Adjust seasoning as necessary, and remove from heat.
- Melt, then cool butter.
- Whisk butter, egg, and milk together.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, and salt, then add baking powder and baking soda.
- Stir liquid mixture into dry mixture.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Spray a 9x12-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Transfer the chili to the baking pan and smooth surface.
- Spoon cornbread mixture over chili mixture, and smooth with a large spoon.
- Bake about 20 minutes, or until cornbread pulls away from the sides of the pan.
- Serve in bowls, making sure every large spoonful has both textures.
Notes, tips, and variations Edit
- Beans in the chili would probably be too much starch.