Cookbook:Chicken and Andouille Sausage Gumbo
|Chicken and Andouille Sausage Gumbo|
Cookbook | Ingredients | Recipes | North American Cuisines
Chicken and andouille sausage gumbo is a soup or stew which is is prepared using roux.
- about 2 lbs (1 kg) chicken breasts
- 1 cup (240 ml) canola oil
- 1 cup (240 g) all-purpose flour
- 2 bell peppers, chopped into ¼-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped into ¼-inch pieces
- 4 stalks of celery, chopped into ¼-inch pieces
- Chicken stock or equivalent
- about ½ lb (¼ kg) Andouille sausage or other spicy sausage
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- Brown outside of chicken breasts in small amount of oil then set aside.
- Make a roux from the flour in a large saucepan.
- Add peppers, onions, and celery to roux. Cook until softened.
- Slowly stir in water, and bring to a simmer.
- Cut up browned chicken breasts, add to gumbo, and cook until done.
- Slice up sausage and add ½ hour after the chicken.
- Season to taste with cayenne and salt.
- Serve in a bowl with a little rice and green onions on top.
Notes, tips, and variationsEdit
- Hot sauce can be added to taste.
- Filé may be added to thicken individual servings as served.
- Home-made chicken stock is preferable to store-bought.
- Gumbo will be better if left over night and eaten the next day.