- Mix besan with water, salt, and turmeric powder until you get a thick batter.
- Heat oil in big pan.
- Drop dollops of batter in the pan using a round spoon so that pakoras are round and fluffy.
- Fry until the pakoras are golden, then remove them from the oil.
- Mix buttermilk, 1 tbsp besan, turmeric powder, asafoetida, and salt until smooth and lump-free.
- Heat a little oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, garlic, ginger, curry leaves, and onion, then fry it until slightly reddish in color.
- Stir the buttermilk mixture, and mix it into the onions. Continue mixing it over medium heat until it starts bubbling.
- Add the pakoras, lower the heat, and keep for some time. Close the lid and switch off the flame.
- Serve hot with rice or roti.
Notes, tips, and variations