Cookbook:Bulgarian Meatball Soup (Supa Topcheta)
Supa Topcheta is a popular Bulgarian soup.
- Combine beef, rice, paprika and savory.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Mix lightly but thoroughly.
- Form into 1-inch (2.5cm) balls, then roll in flour.
- Combine water, bouillon cubes, 1 tablespoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper, green onions, green pepper, carrots and tomatoes in large kettle.
- Cover, bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.
- Add meatballs, cover and bring to boil again.
- Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add chiles and simmer, covered, 40 minutes or until rice is cooked.
- Add parsley during last 5 minutes of cooking time.
- Taste and add more salt and pepper, if needed.
- Just before serving, beat egg with lemon juice.
- Stir 1 to 2 tablespoons hot soup into egg mixture, then stir egg mixture into soup.
- Heat and stir until soup is thickened slightly, but do not allow to boil.