Cookbook:Bredie (South African Mutton Stew)
|Bredie (South African Mutton Stew)|
|Time||Prep: 30 minutes|
Cooking: 2 hours 15minutes
Total: 2 hours 45 minutes
- Toss mutton cubes with flour.
- Heat a few tablespoons of oil in a pot over medium heat. Add the meat, and brown on all sides.
- Transfer lamb to a plate, and add onion to the reserving drippings in the pan. Cook until translucent.
- Return the lamb to the pot, along with the bay leaves, salt, black pepper, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves. Cover with water and allow to simmer for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Add potatoes, cauliflower, and lentils. Continue cooking for about 45 minutes until soft.
Note, tips, and variations edit
- Use fresh spices to bring out good flavour.
- For better flavor, leave stew in the fridge for 2 or more days before serving.