- Dip the bread in water for a short time, so that you can crush it with your hands. It should not be soaked.
- Fry the garlic in a large frying pan with oil until it begins to change color.
- Add the tomato purée and salt, and cook over medium heat until it comes to a boil.
- Add pieces of bread in, none smaller than a walnut, after wringing and continue to mix it with the tomato, until it has become completely red.
- At this point the tomato should still have a fresh aroma.
- Remove from heat and serve hot in a bowl, seasoned with a drizzle of olive oil, pepper and a basil leaf.