|Category||Side dish recipes|
Bengal Potatoes is an Indian side dish.
- Put a little oil or ghee into a large heavy-bottomed pan with a good lid and put it onto a medium heat.
- Add panch puran, and let them cook gently until the seeds start to pop.
- Wash but do not peel the potatoes and cut into large bite sized chunks. Add to pan, stirring so that the seeds coat the potatoes evenly.
- Add a little ground turmeric, enough to just color the cut surfaces of all the pieces.
- Add a little chili powder. The quantity varies depending on your palate, and the strength of the chili.
- Stir well to distribute the spices.
- Do one of the following:
- Put on the lid, turn down the heat, and allow the potatoes to cook in their own steam until cooked through. A little extra water can be added if necessary, but as little as possible should be used. The potatoes should not boil.
- Put the spiced potatoes on a tray in a hot oven until cooked through.
Serve as a snack food with drinks, or as part of an Indian meal.